A. Head lice are a tiny, six-legged parasite. They rely on human blood; a louse separated from its host will rarely survive more than 24 hours. Lice prefer the nape of the neck, the crown of the head and around the ears but may be found on all areas of the head. Head lice do not jump or fly and are typically transmitted through direct head-head contact. Adults are the size of a sesame seed and vary from gray to a reddish caramel color.
Q. What are nits?
A. Lice nits are the eggs of head lice. Nits are tear-drop shaped and lice attach them to hair shafts; Subsequently, nits are difficult to remove. Nits are "glued" to only one side of the hair shaft and may feel like a grain of sand. Female lice lay three to five eggs per day (they can generate up to 200 eggs in their lifetime!) What are ways to get rid of lice nits that are in the hair? We use an enzyme-based product to loosen the cement-like glue, and meticulous manual combing.
Q. What are some symptoms of lice & nits in hair?
A. Itching and red bumps are the most common symptoms of a lice infestation — both are allergic reactions to the saliva. But not all people with lice will have these symptoms. You may also see live bugs or nits (lice eggs) in the hair. Check the base of the hair shaft for nits, and behind the ears and at the nape of the neck.
Q. What do I do if I find head lice on my child?
A. Don’t panic and run to the nearest store for a pesticide-based treatment! However, you do want to take care of the problem right away because lice reproduce daily. Contact us for a no obligation chat.
Q. Are children the only ones who get head lice?
A. Absolutely not! While it’s more commonly spread among children, parents and other adults are not immune. Any person who has close contact with an infected person can get lice.
Q. Can pets get head lice?
A. Fido and Fluffy are safe — Head lice (Pediculus humanus capitis) are a true human parasite and don’t spread to pets.
Q. What do I need to clean in my house?
A. Our cleaning recommendations are simple, we suggest changing pillowcases/sheets, and placing hairbrushes/combs in the freezer for 11 hours. Vacuuming is not recommended, and children's toys/stuffed animals are not a concern. Lice are true human parasites; their environment is the human head, not your house. Studies have shown that lice are contracted from head-head contact, with only 2% of transmissions occurring via material objects (primarily hairbrushes and in advanced infestations pillowcases).
Q. How common is head lice?
A. Head lice are among the most common reasons for absenteeism in schools across the country, second only to the common cold.
Q. Is there any way to prevent lice?
A. Yes. Comb your child's hair and take a good look at hair and scalp several times a week. Teach your children not to share hairbrushes or combs with other kids. There’s also a mint spray among our lice products that helps prevent lice with daily use.
Q. Why have head lice become such a problem?
A. What once was effective no longer kills lice. Overuse of pesticide-based treatments has created bugs that have become resistant to products.
Q. Where do head lice come from?
A. The lice affecting your family did not spontaneously arise, they came from a member of your community, most likely through head-head contact. Lice are species-specific ectoparasites that cospeciate (evolve) with animal hosts. Mitochondrial DNA analyses suggest that head lice affecting the genus homo diverged from a common ancestor of chimpanzee lice 4-5 million years ago. Modern head lice have been found on the hair of ancient Peruvian mummies and scalps of pre-Columbus Native Americans.
Q. Are lice a sign of being dirty or having poor hygiene?
A. Lice don't care about the size of your wallet, whether your house is clean or dirty, or what your personal hygiene is. The facts of lice: They actually prefer a clean head of hair. Since lice glue their eggs to the hair shaft, clean hair allows easier attachment!
Q. Are lice dangerous? Do they spread disease?
A. Head lice are simply an irritating problem. They don’t carry disease and symptoms of lice are annoying but not dangerous. Just be sure to use non-toxic treatment products when treating lice.
Q. We swim at the pool a lot. Can hair lice survive in water and chlorine?
A. Yes! The fact is that hair lice are amazing little critters. They can shut down their nervous systems and be submerged two hours in water. Also, the nits are glued in the hair with a cement-like substance that repels water. Chlorine levels in swimming pools are not strong enough to kill head lice.
Q. I feel like a terrible parent! How do people deal with this?
A. The number one thing that we hear is that people feel like they’ve failed in some way. Nothing could be further from the truth! With all the toxic, ineffective lice products and terrible information out there it’s no wonder people are getting infected and re-infected. We started our company because we didn’t want anyone to have to go through what we went through or struggle with this on their own.