Call the Simply Nitty sisters!
612-454-9011Email

HOME ABOUT LICE FACTS LICE REMOVAL PRICES LICE PRODUCTS GUARANTEE! GUESTBOOK

Lice Facts

"I am so grateful to Simply Nitty. My family had lice a few years ago and it was a nightmare. This time it was a piece of cake! THANK YOU!"
- R.F. Minneapolis

request appointment
What are nits & hair lice? Fun with the facts of lice!

Q. So what are lice anyway?
A. Lice are a tiny, six-legged parasite. They rely on human blood; a louse separated from its host will rarely survive more than 24 hours. Lice prefer the nape of the neck, the crown of the head and around the ears but may be found on all areas of the head. Head lice do not jump or fly. Adults are the size of a sesame seed and vary from gray to a reddish caramel color. Fido and Fluffy are safe — they’re a human parasite and don’t spread to pets.

Q. What are nits?
A. Lice nits are the eggs of head lice. Nits are tear-drop shaped and the lice actually “glue” them to the shaft of the hair so they’re tough to remove. Nits are glued to only one side of the hair shaft and may feel like a grain of sand. Female lice lay three to five eggs per day (they can generate up to 200 eggs in their lifetime!) What are ways to get rid of lice nits that are in the hair? We use a special product to loosen the cement-like glue, and meticulous manual combing.

Q. Where do head lice come from?
A. No one knows for sure, but evidence of lice goes back many centuries. Their shells have been found on mummies once sealed in ancient tombs, as well as burial grounds in North America.

Q. How common are head lice?
A. Head lice are among the most common reasons for absenteeism in schools across the country, second only to the common cold.

Q. How are they spread?
A. In most cases head lice are transmitted from one human to another, primarily through head to head contact, shared hats, helmets etc.

Q. Are children the only ones who get head lice?
A. Absolutely not! While it’s more commonly spread among children, parents and other adults are not immune. Any person who has close contact with an infected person can get lice.

Q. Are lice a sign of being dirty or poor hygiene?
A. Lice don't care about the size of your wallet, whether your house is clean or dirty or what your personal hygiene is. The facts of lice: They actually prefer a clean head of hair. Since lice glue their eggs to the hair shaft, clean hair allows easier attachment!

Q. What are some symptoms of lice and nits in hair?
A. Itching and red bumps are the most common symptoms of a lice infestation — both are allergic reactions to the saliva. But not all people with lice will have these symptoms. You may also see live bugs or nits (lice eggs) in the hair. Check the base of the hair shaft for nits, and behind the ears and at the nape of the neck.

Q. Are lice dangerous? Do they spread disease?
A. Head lice are simply an irritating problem. They don’t carry disease and symptoms of lice are annoying but not dangerous. Just be sure to use non-toxic treatment products when treating lice.

Q. What do I do if I find head lice on my child?
A. Don’t panic and run to the nearest store for a pesticide-based treatment! However, you do want to take care of the problem right away because lice reproduce daily. Contact us for a free chat, or check our non-toxic lice products.

Q. Is there any way to prevent lice?
A. Yes. Comb your child's hair and take a good look at hair and scalp several times a week. Teach your children not to share hats, brushes, combs or helmets with other kids. There’s also a mint spray among our lice products that helps prevent lice with daily use.

Q. We swim at the pool a lot. Can hair lice survive in water and chlorine?
A. Yes! The fact is that hair lice are amazing little critters. They can shut down their nervous systems and be submerged two hours in water. Also, the nits are glued in the hair with a cement-like substance that repels water. Chlorine levels in swimming pools are not strong enough to kill head lice.

Q. Why have head lice become such a problem?
A. What once was effective no longer kills lice. The overuse of pesticide-based treatments has created bugs that have become resistant to products.

Q. I feel like a terrible parent! How do people deal with this?
A. The number one thing that we hear is that people feel like they’ve failed in some way. Nothing could be further from the truth! With all the toxic, ineffective lice products and terrible information out there it’s no wonder people are getting infected and re-infected. We started our company because we didn’t want anyone to have to go through what we went through or struggle with this on their own.

Q. What kills lice?
A. We do! We provide compassionate, confidential and guaranteed lice removal in your home. We also educate you, help you de-infest and give you the most up-to-date prevention strategies and non-toxic products. We also offer do-it-yourself packages for people who need to save an extra penny. There are lots of options, so don’t be shy about calling us to help sort it out.

More questions? Contact the Simply Nitty sisters! We’re always happy to chat. We make lice history in a hurry!




More facts on lice resistance to over-the-counter treatments and what kills lice:
Harvard article
Center for disease control
State of MN article
In the news